- A writer with three published books and over 70 publications in magazines, newspapers, websites, and scholarly journals
- An editor with 25 years of experience
- A writing coach and mentor
- A world traveler
- A scientist and scholar with a Ph.D. in Anthropological Linguistics
- Professor of Linguistics and Writing at St. Catherine University in St. Paul, MN
My education and experience
- Ph.D. Anthropological Linguistics with distinction, University of Chicago
- M.F.A. Writing, Vermont College of Fine Arts
- M.A. Asian Languages & Civilizations
- B.A. Psychology and Anthropology
I have published magazine articles, a newspaper column, featured stories in newspapers, short fiction, personal essays, and scientific articles. My work includes:
- Fantasy and science fiction for young adults and kids (check out my work on Fantasy Crossing)
- Writing as a Sacred Path: A Practical Guide to Writing with Passion & Purpose
- No Walls of Stone: An Anthology of Literature by Deaf and Hard of Hearing Writers
Other Things to Know about Me
- I have lived in India, Japan, and China, and have traveled throughout Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Central America. I backpacked around the world for 4 years in my 20s, including through Turkey, Iran, and Afghanistan.
- I love languages and can read Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Hindi, French, Spanish, and Swedish.
- I am a vegan and an advocate for animals.
- I have a particular fondness for cats.
- I play two Renaissance musical instruments: viola da gamba and recorder.